Yesterday night I was driving back from Cameron Highland to Penang, that covering driving distance about 200km. Somehow, the luck is on my side. The car alternator only started to fail when I reaching Penang island.
Then, I left the car somewhere around the workshop called AV Advance Tyre & Car Care Sdn. Bhd. at the Sungai Dua, Bayan Lepas that night as the shop is near my staying place since the car no longer able to move once the engine is shut down.
The next morning, I went to the workshop and get the recon alternator motor that cost me RM580. It is expensive, but cheaper if compared to the original OEM alternator that cost up to RM1800+ from Toyota Service Center.
Let’s see what are the signs I encountered when the car alternator started to failing…
Signs of Failing Car Alternator
- Rough noise from the engine, especially when the car is accelerating because the failing car alternator failed to produce sufficient electricity to the spark plugs in the engine. This caused the unstable firing from the spark plugs in the car engine thus produces some weird and rough noise from the engine.
- Steering wheel become heavier due to the broken alternator failed to supply electricity to the Electric Power Steering (EPS).
- Headlamp and reading lamp become dimmer due to broken alternator failed to produce sufficient electricity to the electrical parts.
- Battery warning light flashing on dashboard intermittently.
- In Car Entertainment (ICE) not working properly.
- Car failed to start once the engine is shut down due to the car’s battery is totally drained off since the car alternator doesn’t charge up the battery.
Car alternator is a wear and tear part. Sooner of later, the alternator has to be replaced. Proper care to the alternator will extend the alternator life. My Toyota Vios clocked around 82,000km (5 years) when the car alternator broken down.
Don’t forget to give us a “Like” at the bottom of the post 🙂