If you own a car, you probably know how costly the maintenance can be especially with all the overhead costs. Maintenance issues can be as simple as your tyre wearing out or as complex as the motor breaking down. And no matter how simple the issue is, it needs to be fixed which means spending money. So let’s take a look at how you can spend your money wisely while fixing the issue of a changing an old worn tyre. You might say they all look the same and some of you might even wish you never had to change it but everything has a lifetime after which it needs to be replaced. It is also better to change tyres regularly as when tyres are left unchecked for a long time, they might end up damaging the suspension system. Here are few things you must keep in mind while choosing a new tyre to increase its life for your car:
- Refer your car manual
Your manufacturer goes to great lengths while designing your car. That means each and every part of it is custom designed. Car manufacturers spend millions of dollars on Research and Development so that they can bring the perfect car in the market and they mention all these specifications in their manual. All you have to do is check the manual for the following:
- Size: Knowing this is specifically important because you don’t want to keep on trying multiple tyres to check the size. Not to mention, if you are ordering online, this might just be the most important parameter.
- Speed rating: This rating enables you to understand the maximum speed your tyre can sustain continuously for a period of 10 minutes. This is an important parameter as your car has been designed to work effectively on these speeds and having a tyre which does not support it can lead to accidents.
- Load Rating: This rating helps you in understanding the maximum load your tyre can carry, both of the vehicle as well as the people seated inside. This means if your car weighs 600 kgs and it has a seating capacity of 5 people averaging 80 kgs, then capacity of your tyres must be more than 1000 kgs.
Once you know your specifications, purchase tyres of good quality only. You may have heard, prevention is better than cure and that is applicable even here. Buying good quality will mean that you won’t have to keep worrying about getting a flat tyre every now and then. Think of this as an investment which may not give amazing returns but will definitely save you from losses. Obviously, tyres generally meet the safety standards but it is no harm to buy a quality one. Here, I don’t mean that you should buy branded tyres only. Branded tyres will prove to be expensive as they charge prices congruent to the prices of manufacturers. But the catch here is, when you do buy non-branded ones, what is the credibility of the seller? You must check the reviews before taking a decision.
- Which brand to trust?
We spoke of going for other brand manufacturers but the catch here is, if you have not heard of the manufacturer before, it is better to avoid that particular brand. The rule is anything that is made in your country can be checked for. You can always search for the local brand offices but what if it was an unknown manufacturer from some Asian country. How do you identify that? For checking the country where it is manufactured, check the sidewalls and you will come to know which country it is from. And if it is not local, steer clear of it, because chances are, it will most probably be a second rate tyre.
- Find a good dealer
Why is this important? Because no purchase decision ends at the purchase itself. Today, as consumers we look at the overall value and one of its components is the post purchase services that are provided. Having a good dealer will ensure the following things:
- You can trust him to provide post purchase service.
- You can look up to him for other needs.
- You will have a back up for buying a tyre every time.
- Not to mention, the loyalty points that you earn and the implicit relationship that you develop as a valuable customer.
- Buying online
It is a trend today to purchase online because of the various benefits that include major discounts, comfortable shopping, comparing and contrasting features and prices and not to mention the free delivery (if not free, it is minimally priced). So why can’t you buy tyres online? You can get tyres on discount from retailers like tyresales.com.au on OZCodes along with add on services like free road side assistance and free car cleaning.
Next time you find yourself in need of tyres, this is exactly how you go about it! We must remember that it is small things that matter much and our car tyre is one such thing.